Harvey Nexus Inc. is looking to add 4-6 new Career Coach to help cultivate community outreach and recognition.
Harvey Nexus Inc. is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization based in Houston; Texas dedicated to empowering communities by alleviating unemployment.
Our mission is geared towards providing a sustainable and trusted recruitment and training organization that will lead to the direct growth and development of communities and businesses; and a vision to become the most impactful nonprofit recruitment organization in Texas, the Sun Belt and the wider South with extended community support nationally. Our vision reflects our values: integrity, service, commitment, excellence, teamwork, and community-first.
We are looking to expand our team of career coaches by adding people who are passionate about our mission, self-motivated, hardworking, and experienced in their respected industry as well as in the nonprofit sector.
The Career Coach will help strategize our growth, candidate outreach, community involvement, connect us with dedicated volunteers, partners, sponsors, donors, and create a community of giving.
The role of a Career Coach at Harvey Nexus Inc. involves contact with individuals who need help with professional development this may include professionals in different industries with varied level of experience from the business owner, CEO, Manager, Staff, high school students, college students and other individuals.
Through one-on-one consultations, the coach helps these individuals identify their specific aptitudes and go on to realize their career goals.
The suitable candidate will be able to help individuals research possible career options, search and find job openings that match their career interests.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of a Career Coach
- Helps candidates identify personal interests and life goals.
- Assists candidates in planning strategic career moves and developing leadership skills.
- Finds new employment opportunities for candidates with the help of our internal and external resources.
- Reviews candidates’ resumes and cover letters and provides feedback.
- Rehearses job interview tactics with candidates and offers advice.
- Holds seminars and workshops to educate individuals/ groups who are searching for the right career path.
- Guides candidates who desire to make a career change.
- Performs personality and skills assessments on candidates.
- Administers aptitude tests to help determine candidates’ interests and talents.
- Considers candidates’ experience and education when recommending career paths.
- Recommends additional education to candidates to help them achieve their career goals.
- Helps candidates write resumes and letters to prospective employers.
- Assists candidates with job search skills, making contact with prospective employers and completing job applications.
- Counsels candidates on how to strengthen their weaknesses.
- Helps candidates conquer habits that prevent job advancement.
- Answers candidates questions concerning details about different careers.
- Advises students on courses to take in high school and college to prepare for a particular career.
- Helps students choose the right colleges to match their career choices.
- Helps students locate financial aid and other funding to pay for their educations.
- Help College students identify a viable career path within their field of study.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills are important.
- Must be a good multi-tasker, scheduler, time manager and an active listener.
- Must have excellent management and motivational skills.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of designing spreadsheets and maintaining databases is a plus.
- Knowledge of human resources and recruiting techniques.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or Counseling is a plus.
- Master’s degree in Counseling with concentration in career counseling is a plus.
- Licensing required in the state of employment.
- Internship and supervised clinical experience.
- Continuing education to keep up with changes in the field.
- Pass criminal background check.
- Certification by the Center for Credentialing and Education.
- Certification by the International Coach Federation.
- This is a 100% virtual opportunity.
- Must be able to work in a virtual workspace.
- Must be willing to work normal day time hours with a weekly contribution of 5-10 hours.
- Must be willing to take some work home such as students’ or candidates’ job applications and resumes that were not reviewed during normal work hours.